Lazy Days of Summer

7.21.2008

And I mean lazy. Unemployed lazy.

I have been unemployed now for almost 2 weeks. I don't like to refer to this time as unemployment, however, I consider it taking a short break. Or a vacation. And oh how glorious it has been. Here's a quick log as to what a person in Beijing does, when they have nothing to do.

Day 1: Thursday. Rode my bike over to Wudaokou, the University district. Went to my favorite cafe, The Bridge, which serves real coffee and Western food and has free wifi. I sipped on a blended mocha, snacked on a fruit salad, and surfed the net. Awesome. Later that night, I was invited by my friend Jenea (a fellow ex-ABC teacher) to dinner with former students. We were treated to (our students never let us pay) Sichuan food. I tried pig's feet. Not recommended.

Day 2: Friday. Slept in. Amazing. Went out with Jenea for day one of her birthday weekend. We dined at a fantastic Spanish restaurant with live Spanish music. Then we met up with Collin to meet all of his new Wall Street folk. Stayed out as late as we wanted because we had nothing to do the next day. Wonderful.

Day 3: Saturday. Went for a doctor's check-up. First time I had time to do so in Beijing. Met up with Jenea for birthday night number two. Ate amazing Thai food and went dancing till the sun came up. Literally. And we could, because, well, we had no obligations the next day. Incredible.

Day 4: Sunday. Slept for a few hours. Met up with Sean Matthew for our first weekend day off together. He wanted to get some clothes, so I took him to Wafujing. He bought a few things, including a shirt for me :o) Weather was perfect. As the sun was going down, we sat on a rooftop patio while drinking freshly made margaritas. Perfect.

Day 5: Monday. It was raining outside. I did nothing. Absolutely nothing all day. It was everything I dreamed of. Toward the evening, I headed over to Sean Matthew's hood, or what I call "America-Land," a place I have been going quite frequently. Its real name is the "Lido Area," but it is full of foreigners, Western restaurants and bars, as well as lots of international cuisine, it is quite pricey (by Chinese standards), and it looks just like America. I was meeting with Sean Matthew and his coworker for a few drinks at Frank's Place for happy hour, which turned into many happy hours. When we finally decided to head back it was pouring out. Sean Matthew did something very gentlemanly: he took off his shirt and gave it to me for cover from the rain, and started to walk back in just his undershirt. My pleasant thoughts about this chivalrous gesture were abruptly interrupted by a cold splash of water-- Sean Matthew had just jumped in a huge puddle directly in front of me. I was shocked. "NOT COOL!!" I yelled, but couldn't help but laugh. The 5 minute walk back to the Lido turned into a 30 minute puddle fight, one which I largely lost. I was at the mercy of Sean Matthew and Greg, who thought it hilarious to hold me still while the other jumped in the largest, nastiest puddle they could find; my only defense to frantically kick water back at them. We came back drenched and muddy, but my mouth and stomach ached from laughing. I felt like a 5 year old again. Fantastic.

Day 6: Tuesday. I did something productive, finally. I went to a job interview. It is for a 6 week summer camp and pays pretty good money. It doesn't start until September, giving me time to roam around China and host Natalia's visit in August worry free. And it is Monday-Friday, weekends off. Sounds too good to be true. Kinda is. It's in the outskirts of the city, about an hour and half commute, so the teachers stay in a hotel during the week. I will be isolated from M-F and faced with the 1.5 hour commute every Friday and Sunday night. They said, "Free accommodations!" I said, "But I have an apartment!" It does include meals, though. I am still considering this offer. After the interview, it was off on my bike to enjoy yet another perfect day in Wudaokou. I found a new cafe with a rooftop patio. Very enjoyable. Later that night, Collin and I went for a night bike ride around the 'hood. Marvelous.

Day 7: Wednesday. Collin's day off. We spent most of the day at our favorite place: Wal-Mart! That evening we met up with Mr. Li, one of my former students. He took us to a nice Korean restaurant. Of course, his treat. He is a very sweet man who dearly loves speaking English and drinking pijio. We left the restaurant very late and very full. Good times.

Day 8: Thursday. I planned to make cookies using my mother's recipe. Sean Matthew has an oven, a rarity in Beijing, but he lives in America-Land. However, I accidentally slept in until almost 2:00p, leaving no time for baking. I did manage to meet up with my first private client that evening, a business man from Korea. He (conveniently) lives in the Lido Area. [I guess I'm not technically unemployed anymore?] Then I had dinner with SM at "Pure Lotus" a restaurant I'd been dying to check out-- it's a vegetarian restaurant and with very fascinating decor and presentation. Overall, I was quite pleased.

Day 9. Friday. The start of another fun-filled, crazy weekend. This one was insane. Friday afternoon, Collin and I met up with a few friends to go to an Olympic Garden we read about online. After driving around for 30 minutes and asking every person in sight, we decided it was inaccessible to the public. We settled for pictures in front of the stadium and went for burgers at Lush-- best burgers in town. Friday night I planned to take it easy. Met up with Sho and friends at a cool bar near the Drum Tower. We got antsy, though, and headed for a sports bar. From there, we (inevitably) ended up in Sunlitun, a popular weekend spot for foreigners. So much for taking it easy!

Day 10. Saturday. Saturday morning I made Collin attend a Chinese wedding with me-- my language exchange partner was getting married. This event must have an entry of its own. By far the craziest day of my life. Collin claims he will never forgive me. Yet somehow after all the mayhem (and a botched attempt at taking a nap), I went out to meet up with SM, Sho and a bunch of others on the NBC crew in... you guessed it: Sunlitun. I don't know how I was even alive at that point, but I lasted through the night.

Day 11. Sunday. Took it easy, did some shopping, went to bed early.

Day 12: Today. Monday. I have spent the day searching for jobs, desperately wanting to avoid working weekends, and wish I could be through with teaching entirely. I may have an editing interview soon. I certainly hope so. The weather has been drier, cooler, and clearer. I swear the government can control the weather here. Their power is mind boggling. I'm meeting with my private student again in a few hours and then I will finally bake cookies! I guess these summer days aren't that lazy =]

-T

0 comments:

 
Collin & Tracy's China Adventure - Design by: Searchopedia convertido para o Blogger por TNB