Beijing Faux Pas Police on the Prowl

8.01.2008

According to the Huffington Post:

A campaign with nearly a million volunteers was launched to give etiquette tips to Beijing locals. "Etiquette booklets" were handed out to 4 million households, which included tips such as:

  • no public spitting
  • wait patiently and orderly when in line
  • wear no more than three color groups in your clothing
  • no wearing pajamas and slippers when visiting neighbors
  • white socks should never be worn with black leather shoes-- and dark-colored socks are recommended overall
  • no public displays of affection [like anyone here does that anyway]
  • feet should be slightly apart or in the shape of a V or Y when standing
  • handshakes should not last more than three seconds
  • don't ask foreigners their age, marital status, income, past experience, address, personal life, religious beliefs or political beliefs [then what will you talk about? Ohh, right… the Olympics!]


I hope everyone gets their act together soon-- Collin and I noticed 6 violations alone when walking down our street today. I wonder if they'll be issuing actual citations for these etiquette & fashion faux pas? Here I was worried about my registration... now I have to go buy a pack of black dress socks and put some "real" clothes on if I want to go shoot the breeze with my neighbors. The handshake thing is actually good advice though-- I always count to 3 in my head when shaking someone's hand and then jerk it away as soon as I hit that third tick. Shaking for 4 seconds is just creepy.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/31/beijing-issues-style-guid_n_116041.html

0 comments:

 
Collin & Tracy's China Adventure - Design by: Searchopedia convertido para o Blogger por TNB