3 Minutes

5.19.2008

Today marks one week since the earthquake in the Sichuan Province of China. News of the quake, especially for those of us who didn't feel it, travelled a bit slowly here in China. News always travels slowly here [I found out about the quake from a friend who has access to an American internet connection] and bad news is no exception. Because of this, I wasn't aware of the severity of the situation for quite some time-- even after both Collin's and my inbox were flooded with concerned emails. I shot off a mass email along the lines of: "Hey! I'm fine.. thanks for asking! Didn't even feel it! Here's a funny video. Miss you guys!"

I regret my insincerity now that I have fully come to know the gravity of the situation. There are about 50,000 estimated dead and many more injured. People are homeless, parentless, familyless, penniless.

Last Thursday was payday for us here at ABC. After being handed our pay, we were each asked if we would like to donate part of our pay to the victims of the earthquake. This month will be extremely tight for Collin and I, as our second chunk of rent is due (we pay quarterly), but we each opted to donate roughly 10% of our month's salary. I wish we could have afforded to do more.

At 2:28 PM this afternoon it was exactly one week, to the minute, that the quake happened. It was decided that there would be a 3 minute moment of remembrance, representing the duration of the earthquake. I teach a class from 1-3 PM, so I decided our usual 2:00 PM class break would be put off until 2:25, allowing the students to leave and do as they wish during that time.

Most students went outside. I joined the Chinese staff and a few students at the large glass front of our building, which overlooks the street below. At 2:28 PM, I witnessed something I thought impossible: China came to a standstill. People stopped rushing about their ways. Cars halted in the middle of the road, each driver laying on their horns for the full 3 minutes. We all stood in complete silence, other than the constant sound of the horns. As the minutes passed, I realized just how long 3 minutes could be. My eyes welled up as I thought of the thousands of victims who endured this same, seemingly infinite long 3 minutes in total fear and panic. And worse-- those who endured days and days afterward buried in collapsed buildings and rubble. I needed to contain myself, for class would start up again soon, but it was not easy. I saw people around me let the tears fall. I understood more than ever in that 3 minutes, that it doesn't matter who you are, where you live, what your culture is, what language you speak: tragedy is universal.

1 comments:

Likely said...

thank you for your insight tracy. I am tearing up reading your thoughts. Is there anything we can do to help from here besides pray???

 
Collin & Tracy's China Adventure - Design by: Searchopedia convertido para o Blogger por TNB